Editing and Consulting for Writers
A quick read and a short letter, marking what I see—editing for phrasing, illogical connections, missing material, general issues to work on. I am good at finding the structures you are working with and helping you make a plan to develop them. Use form at bottom to contact me.
- $5 per page doublespaced
- Minimum: 20 pages prose/ 8 pages poetry/ $100
Intensive Manuscript Review
Intensive editing marks, suggestions about pacing, layering, metaphor, ways to bring the heart of the story. Includes detailed, page by page comments, a letter, and individual meeting by phone or in person. Minimum: 20 pages. Use form at bottom to contact me.
- $5/page for first 50 pages. $4 / page for remaining pages.
- Includes follow-up meeting by phone, Skype, or in person.
- 50 page minimum / $250
First Chapter and Synopsis. A review of your one-page synopsis and first chapter up to 15 pages. I respond with thoughts and suggestions. If you decide to have an ongoing consult or intensive review of 100 pages or more, I’ll deduct $50 from your next project fee. Use form at bottom to contact me.
- Fee: $145
1 Month Coaching/Consult. Four coaching/manuscript review sessions over about 4 weeks. I read and mark 15 pages for each session, followed by a one hour private meeting by phone or in person. A great option for the start of a book or refinements to a section of a book. Use form at bottom to contact me.
- Fee: $350
- Single session: $150
Available at $75 per hour. By phone or in person.
Mentoring – the Low Cost Alternative to an MFA Program
Following the Low Residency MFA mentoring model I learned at top-rated Warren Wilson College MFA Program, I will review your creative material per packet, via email or postal mail (you provide SASE packaging). I respond with editing, advice, assignments for craft study, reading assignments, and random useful projects. This is an incredibly effective way to make quick progress in your mastery of craft.
- Fiction, creative nonfiction, or memoir Packets: 20 pages
- Poetry Packets: 8 pages
- Each packet includes a program of assigned reading and craft study.
- We compile a reading list and discuss your reading.
- I assign you short essays on how writing works.
- I provide a detailed letter with each packet review.
3 packet exchanges: $1,200
5 packet exchanges: $1,800
Fill out contact form below for more information.
- 10 years teaching and consulting on fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry
- An uncommon “sixth sense,” honed over years of experience, reading, and study, that tells me the shapes and solutions that will serve the heart of a story, essay, or poem.
- 30 years of professional editing and writing for trade and university publishers.
- Numerous awards, including the prestigious PEN/Hemingway Honorable Mention for Distinguished Fiction and an NC Arts Council Fellowship (2012)
- MFA, Warren Wilson College
Past Institutional Clients / Staff Work:
Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill, Harper Collins, Duke University Sanford Institute for Public Policy, UNC Institute of Government Publishing Division, Duke University Chronicle, Capital News Group, TeleSpan Publishing Company, National Parks Magazine, and many more.
Published Writing: 2 literary books, 5 anthologies, more than 50 stories, articles, poems in Story, Storytelling Magazine, West Branch, Yankee, Garden & Gun, Wildlife in North Carolina, American Land Forum, and many more.