Upcoming workshops and talks Spring – Summer 2013
“ I can personally attest to the excellence of Marjorie’s instruction. She is a perceptive and encouraging teacher with a mastery of her craft and an exceptional ability to help her students elevate the drama and distinctiveness of their stories.” — Brant
Writing Workshop at Doe Branch, Ink.
June 9 – 15, 2013 – An intensive small group workshop for serious writers. All genres. Hudson will read and critique up to 25 pages of ms., 2 hour manuscript workshops daily, private consultation for each participant. Room and board included. In the beautiful North Carolina Mountains.
Consultations: I can read up to 5 pages and respond and/or coach you on a current project, provide assignments and a structure for your continued progress.
1 hour consultations: in person or on the phone/Skype: $75
1.5 hour consultations: in person or on the phone/Skype: $105
- Three sessions of 1 hour each: $200
- Five sessions of 1 hour each: $350
Marjorie, Your commentary and feedback is AWESOME! Ths is exactly what am looking for. I really want to continue with this. Thank you so much for including me! – Laura
Kitchen Table Writers at Rosemary House -
Next classes begin in June
“Come with me to a writing class with Marjorie Hudson. She will help and guide you into the wonder world of your own thoughts, ideas, and feelings, a self-discovery.”– Al C.
Tuesday Mornings 10:00 am – 12:30 pm – Critique your Manuscript – includes private coaching session – $175 for 5 sessions – June 25 – July 23 – OPEN
Thursday Morning Summer Camp 10:30 – 12:30 – Generating New Writing - $85 for 4 sessions – June 27 – July 25 – OPEN
Thursday Afternoon Summer Camp 1:30 – 3:30 Location TBA - Generating New Writing - $85 for 4 sessions – June 27 – July 25 – OPEN
Fall 2013 Sessions:
Tuesday Mornings at Rosemary House – Starting in August – - Critique and New Writing, plus private coaching session – 10 sessions for $175 OPEN
- $175 fee includes 10 sessions with writing craft talk, prompts, exercises, and critique, plus a 1-hour private consult and manuscript comments. Class limited to 8 participants. Coffee, tea, homemade cookies, and a pleasant dining room table.
- To register, contact: Hudson.firstname.lastname@example.org
“If I were clever with the technology, I would tie ribbons and bows all over this message, but all I can send is words. When I finally had time to get out the critique you wrote for our meeting, digest it and study it with my notes, I was transported. In it I found a new package of tools to tackle my frustrated struggles. I know from my long years of teaching that the best present you ever get from a student is the words, “I get it.” Well, I got it! See you in January. ” — Penny
- Class structure: in-class prompts, mini-lectures on craft, in-class critique sessions scheduled in advance, and a private 1-hour consult and manuscript comments, scheduled before or after class. I’m experimenting with a WIKI and class members may have access to online materials from time to time.
- Discount on Consultations: Current class members get a discount on 1-hour consultations. They are available by request for $35. A consult includes my on-site read of up to 5 pages, coaching, and advice.
- Payment: Fee is due at the first session (minus any deposit you have paid). You may pay in two checks of $75 each, the second one post-dated for the date of the 6th session of class.
- Refunds: If you sign up and confirm, you’ve reserved a chair at the table! If you have to drop out in the first 2 weeks, I may be able to replace you from the waiting list. Your fee will be refunded, minus $35, if I can replace you. Current class members get priority seating!
- Directions: The Rosemary House B & B is located at 76 West Street, Pittsboro, NC. From the Pittsboro Courthouse Circle, go ½ block West on 64. Rosemary House is a large white frame building with a big welcoming porch and rockers, on the right. Park on the street. Ring the bell (a small brass knob in the middle of the door.) We meet in the dining room.
ONGOING WRITER STRATEGIES COACHING GROUP: Get group coaching on goals, submissions, revisions at an affordable rate. If interested, contact email@example.com
PROSE REVISION GROUP: Get intensive coaching on fiction and memoir writing. Email for more information; firstname.lastname@example.org
Services: Editing, Coaching, Mentoring
Wow, you are a FABULOUS EDITOR! I am going to take a long time with all the fine details that need changing, but I really love your suggestions…not even done with the notes and know this is a long journey with more historical facts, times, etc. solidly rooted. This is going to be a great challenge. You went more deeply than I could have imagined, yikes. Anyway, I think this project will be a long haul, but I am so glad you were so thorough. I’m impressed. Happy holidays, cher, more later. xoxo Alice J.
MORE 2013 WORKSHOPS AND EVENTS
Visiting Writer – Lehigh University
Thursday, March 28 – 7 pm
Bethlehem, PA. Free and open to the public.
Carolinas Writing Festival – Featured Speaker, Master Class.
Saturday, April 20
Open to the public.
Beach Retreat at Trinity Center – FULL
Friday May 17 – Sunday 19
Writing and Yoga with Marjorie Hudson and Michele Tracy Berger.
Atlantic Beach, NC.
To get on the waiting list, contact: Hudson.email@example.com
Writer in Residence, Doe Branch, NC.
June 2013 – Watch for details.
Small group workshop for manuscripts. Hudson will read and critique up to 25 pages of ms., 2 hour manuscript workshops daily, private consultation for each participant. Room and board included.
Hudson designs custom workshops for groups of writers on request. Here are a few examples of her past offerings. AVAILABLE TO WRITERS GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, AND COLLEGES. Email her at Hudson.firstname.lastname@example.org to request a special workshop.
- Fiction Craft: Beginnings and Endings
- You’re working on a fiction story, but it’s not quite there. What absolutely must be in the first paragraphs? What must be in your ending? And how in the world do you decide? There are so many options, there’s so much to say in a few words. The delicate balancing act of beginnings and endings is one of the most powerful tools in the fiction writer’s toolbelt. We’ll explore how master writers do it, and try some exercises to refine your own work. Bring a draft you are working on.
- Memoir: Works in Progress
- Memoir is the intimate art, and this class will create a community of support for refining works in progress and generating new material. You will learn craft techniques to help you structure your work, tell your deepest stories, and move toward completing a piece, whether for publication or family records.
- All Day Workshop: Strategies for the Writing Life.
Jump start your writing life: exercises to generate a plan for success.
“Like rocket fuel for your writing life! I’ve taken it twice, and I’d take it again.” — Michele
Past Classes and Residencies:
Siler City Writer in Residence
We Are Siler City Writing Projects
sponsored by North Carolina Arts Incubator July 18 – 22, 2011
Youth Writing Camp: Mornings 9:30 – 12
Adult Writing Camp: Afternoons 2 – 4:30
Performance and Gallery show: August 26
All Day Fiction Writing Workshop,
August 6, 10 – 4:30, CCCC, Pittsboro Campus
Fiction Writing Workshop
August 17, 9 – 12, Dare County Arts Council, Manteo, NC
Weathers Creek Workshop: Creative Nonfiction: October 8
Writers House, Charlottesville, NC: Fiction Writing with Valerie Nieman: October 29, 9-1 pm
Fiction Writing / Works in Progress: CCCC Pittsboro Campus, Wednesday evenings, Sept 28 – Nov. 2.
General Store Cafe Writers: 10 – 11:30 am, Tuesdays in Pittsboro
McIntyre’s Fine Books Writers: 1:30 – 3 pm, Thursdays in Fearrington Village